Guide to the Forum – The rules.
These rules set out how carers on the forum relate to each other and the forum community. Please read these along with our website terms and conditions.
The Carers Northumberland Forum is a place where people who care for someone (no matter who they are, or what health, disability or frailty issue they have) can share experiences, tips, ask questions, ask opinions and support each other.
The forum is for anyone over 18 who is a carer, we define a carer as someone who supports (unpaid) a family member or friend/neighbour.
Please be courteous when posting messages, imagine that you are speaking face to face. The Forum is essentially about giving support and encouragement.
The Forum sits on our website, but it is public, and everything posted here can be found from a search engine. Keep safe by following these simple rules:
- Don’t use your real name, address or email address. Always use your chosen display name (even if private messaging).
- When setting up your display name when you join – make sure it isn’t your real name or email address.
- Your password and username are personal to you – protect it and don’t let others post using your details.
- When you post always use your display name and don’t use other people’s real names.
- If you build a friendship that you want to take offline – do be cautious, always meet in a public place, always make sure someone knows where you are.
- And remember people are not necessarily who they say they are.
Things you should do:
- Post questions, hints and tips, exchange views, share opinions and support.
- Be respectful, sometimes people will be having a bad day and unlike a face to face conversation, the written word can be misinterpreted.
- Disagreement is OK, when it’s not intimidating, harassing or verbal abuse.
- Be yourself.
- Respect others gender, religion, ethnicity, race or their relationships.
- Give others the benefit of the doubt, they might not have meant to offend – they may be tired, stressed, upset or plain having a bad day.
Things not to do:
- #SHOUT – using CAPITALS in posts looks like shouting. Swearing might offend others, so do consider use of language.
- Don’t attack or abuse others or inflame situations.
- Don’t be hateful.
- Don’t pretend to be someone or something you are not.
Keep it on track and relevant:
- Be sure to post in the correct area of the forum or thread (conversation). In this way, your thoughts are more likely to be seen by those who are most interested. If you post across threads, it can be confusing.
- You can post as little or as long as you like – but remember do not identify yourself or others if you are telling a story or life experience. Any post that identifies someone, or an organisation or company, which might enable others to make a link to someone or something will be taken down.
- Please don’t advertise or request help for research. We do not allow any selling of products or services and any such posts will be removed. Feel free to pass on tips or relevant links, but please don’t swamp the forum with spam and links.
- If you are unsure about whether to post or note contact the forum team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you want to ask carers to take part in a research project please contact the forum team at email@example.com.
The Forum Team:
We are fans of freedom of speech and the right of carers to be heard. We monitor the forum and if we or others think a post is unpleasant then we will delete it, but explain why we have. If you think a post has broken the forum guidelines you can contact us by clicking on Report Post or by contacting the forum team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any suggestions or you think we have missed something, let us know at email@example.com.
We will try and get back to you within 24 hrs – this may be the next working day at weekends.
You may wish to complain or compliment Carers Northumberland by posting on the forum. This isn’t the best way to contact the charity about these issues, although we understand you may want others to see your post. We have a formal procedure for dealing with these issues and you should contact the Chief Executive on 01670 320025 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe (Leave the Forum)
To unsubscribe and delete your account from the forum, Email email@example.com and we will remove your profile and any consents for us to hold your forum information within 5 working days.
We reserve the right to delete subscribers who do not follow the forum guidelines.
Carers Northumberland accepts no liability for any content posted on the forum.
Privacy: We respect your privacy and we do not pass on any personal information you have consented to give to us, unless you say we can and we have your written consent (the exceptions are if we must by law or if there is a clear need to safeguard the welfare of someone using the forum or our services).